Tuesday 21 February 2012

"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins



WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.

In a dark vision of the near future, twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live TV show called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed. When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature. 



This book is definitely the best I have read in a long time. I have always had a thing for dystopia/science fiction, but the Hunger Games blew all the others out of the water! It was so refreshing to read a book where the beautiful girl (who doesn't think she is) falls for the "dark and mysterious" bad boy but there's this whole dystopian plot twist and so she joins the rebellion, but nothing is as bad as it seems blah blah blah.
BUT I was saying, the Hunger Games was amazing; I read it in about 4 days, which is a record for me! The whole thing was electrifying and intense: the characters (loved them all), the setting (brilliant) and the plot. Especially the plot! It had me guessing all the time about was going to happen next, and I was practically always wrong. 
Katniss was a great main character; she was focused on what she wanted and her need to survive was very real and believable. She was the kind of girl I'd be friends with! It was refreshing (as I said earlier) to see her not focused on boys, but on more important things (I'm not saying that romance isn't important!). Her relationships with Gale, Peeta, Haymitch, Prim, Effie, Madge, Cinna and her mother were all wonderful, (especially with Peeta, my new favourite male character!) and I especially liked her relationship with Rue, despite Rue's tragic end that left me emotional! 
The Capitol's cruelty was horrifying to read about, but it was extremely well written (as was the whole novel) and Suzanne Collins's idea was original and thought-provoking. I'm currently reading Catching Fire and I'm officially a Hunger Games convert! I can't wait for the film!
Look out for reviews of Catching Fire and Mockingjay in the immediate future!


Rating: A* (exceptional!)

No comments:

Post a Comment